LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Claremore, Oklahoma

Claremore Lake features 500 surface acres for boating and great bass fishing (no swimming allowed). There are 2 boat ramps, courtesy dock and 3 fishing piers, 1 for senior citizens and disabled children, 2 for general public use. Enhancing the lake is a 60 acre park with scenic shaded picnic areas, 3 picnic shelters and 2 sand volleyball courts. Boating and fishing permits are required.

Claremore Lake was developed in 1929 with the completion of the dam. Prior to 1929, this area was farm land and large rock bluffs with Dog Creek running through it. Dog Creek travels from the north and is the main feeder creek for the Lake. Dog Creek is named for Dosage Chief Black Dog, one of the three main chiefs of the Dosage tribe when they dominated the area.

In 1938, the WPA constructed a unique two-story boat house on the lake. The first floor has oneBoat House - Claremore Lakeroom with a chimney. The lower level, where boats dock, contains a small room the Claremore police once used as a jail.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

J. Bartley Milam Home

This private home was originally built by J. BARTLEY MILAM, Principal Chief of the Cherokees. The Cherokee government had been dismantled in 1907 when Oklahoma became a state. In 1941, Milam was appointed Chief for a year by Franklin D. Roosevelt and was reappointed until his death in 1949

Claremore, OK Historic Homes

J. M. Davis Arms & Historic Museum

The Davis Arms Museum contains the world's largest collection of guns with over 20,000 on display. It is also the home for a large collection of John Rogers statuaries, a stein collection, swords, saddles, Indian artifacts,

Claremore, OK Museums

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House

An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Rogers State University

When Oklahoma was granted statehood, the first legislature established Eastern University Preparatory School, which opened on College Hill in Claremore in 1909

Claremore, OK Colleges

Claremore's Expo-Center

The City of Claremore has redeveloped its old city/county fair grounds by removing all structures, and acquiring additional acreage, bringing the area to more than 55 acres. The major addition has been bulding the Expo Center.

Arena Area

Claremore, OK Expo Centers

Things to do near Claremore, OK

Copan Lake Camping

Washington Cove and Post Oak Parks have class A camping with full facilities. Washington Cove is looked after by Gate Attenda...

Copan Hunting

11,000 acres of the project land has been set aside to be managed for wildlife. The management of this land is done through a...