LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Grand Island, Nebraska

National Register of Historic Places

Named for its proprietor, William L. Yancey, the hotel was begun in April of 1917, financed by the Bankers Realty Investment Company of Omaha, Nebraska, for the North American Hotel Company. The company was building a chain of hotels in Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas towns, accessible to the railroad depots and business districts.

This "chain concept" permitted a standardization of service, bulk purchase of supplies, quantity discounts, and lower costs to the consumer. From its opening in 1923, the Yancey was the center of social and political activity for Grand Island. An early twentieth century high-rise structure, the 11 story, 150-room hotel illustrates the Renaissance Revival style. Due to the development of motels, a decline in railroad downtown business district, the hotel closed in December 1982. The building has been rehabilitated as a stylish condominium and office complex.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Hotel Yancey (Yancey Motor Hotel)

National Register of Historic Places

Named for its proprietor, William L. Yancey, the hotel was begun in April of 1917

Grand Island, NE NATIONAL REGISTER

Andrew M. Hargis House

National Register of Historic Places.

Built in 1898, the Andrew M. Hargis House is a fine example of the Queen Anne style and also incorporates Neo-Classical Revival detailing in its design. Hargis founded the Grand Island Business and Normal College in 1885

Grand Island, NE NATIONAL REGISTER

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

This landmark English Gothic structure opened for worship on July 7, 1889. The church was constructed with red granite from Colorado and trimmed in gray sandstone from Wyoming. The stained glass windows were imported from Europe. In 1903

Grand Island, NE Historic Churches

Hamilton-Donald House

National Register of Historic Places

The house was constructed by Henry Falldorf in 1905 for Ellsworth D. Hamilton, cashier of the Commercial State Bank of Grand Island. In 1908

Grand Island, NE NATIONAL REGISTER

Fort O.K. Cannon

The cannon located on the South lawn of the Courthouse is dated 1853 and with the forged stamp of AMES CO. FOUNDERS, CHICOPEE, MASS.

"This cannon was left at Fort O.K. August 22, 1865 by Major J.R. Curtis 'for the protection of the settlement against attack by Hostile Indians'."

Grand Island, NE Landmarks

Things to do near Grand Island, NE