LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Chandler, Oklahoma

The oldest commercial buildings in Lincoln County, these Sandstone "twin" buildings were built by pioneer merchant A.E. Mascho in 1897 and 1898. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, these two adjoining buildings are now the home to the Lincoln County Historical Society and Pioneer Museum with its collections housed in a restored, climate-controlled area with proper lighting and ultraviolet light protection.

During restoration work, a large, connecting arched doorway was discovered. The arch is similar to those constructed across the building facade. Called "working arches," the hand-cut sandstones are placed so they support each other and the weight above.

The Museum houses 8,000 square feet of displays that depict early pioneer life. Visitors to the museum are first greeted by the old-fashioned traditional "general store," replica of the traditional small town information and supply center. The town post office and telephone switchboard is included.

The Tilghman Exhibit showcases memorabilia of Chandler's legendary U.S. Marshal, Bill Tilghman and the first copy of the original movie he made in partnership with Benny Kent, "The Passing of the Oklahoma Outlaw." Recently, the story of Bill Tilghman was portrayed by actor, Sam Elliot, in a Hollywood production.

Other exhibits include a printing and publishing display featuring a Linotype type-setting machine, a genealogy department, physician and dental offices, one-room school, cobbler, milliner and seamstress shops, the Embry Military Exhibit, and the Route 66 exhibit entitled "26 Skidoo!" The upstairs gallery features a replica of living quarters used by residents who owned or operated the store below.

In the west section of the museum is the Hoffman Library and Armstrong Marionette Theater teaching Oklahoma history through marionettes. Public performances, puppet camps, and workshops are scheduled throughout the year.

Don't leave without asking to see Oklahoma's only remaining brick outdoor restroom, more often called the "privy". It was built about 1910 and featured a primitive, but then, very advanced mechanical commode. It has been restored, but not to its original public use.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

First Presbyterian Church

National Register of Historic Places Built in 1894 of lumber hauled by wagons from Guthrie, Oklahoma, this structure was one of few, if any public buildings left intact after the tragic cyclone of 1897

Chandler, OK Historic Churches

Historical Murals

Five murals are displayed on the north wall of the Pioneer Museum. The acrylic paintings were done by artist and sculptor, Fred Olds, of Guthrie, Oklahoma. They are gifts of Col. and Mrs. John Embry, and depict area history. 1. Arrival Indians; 2. Cattle trails, first settlements; 3. Religion;

Chandler, OK Arts

Chandler Golf Course

The Chandler Golf Course is more than the ordinary 9-hole golf course. It also offers a Practice Putting Green and Driving Range. There is a club house lounge as well as snacks, sandwiches, chips, and cold drinks. There are cart rentals, club rentals, golf accessories, and restroom facilities.

Chandler, OK Golf Courses

The Mascho Buildings

National Register of Historic Places The oldest commercial buildings in Lincoln County, these sandstone "twin" buildings were built by pioneer merchant, A.E. Macho in 1897 and 1898. The earlier building was first constructed in 1896

Chandler, OK Historic Buildings

National Guard Artillery Encampment

The Statistical House was built in 1907 at Chandler to house officers and scorekeepers compiling results of rifle practices and competitions during Oklahoma National Guard encampments and other training sessions. It later served half a century as housing for Business and professional Women'

Chandler, OK Memorials

Things to do near Chandler, OK

Antioch Baptist Church

1920s architecture. ...

Shawnee Golf & Country Club

Course Access: PrivateHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: 24 days...

The Boley Historical Museum Tours

Boley is one of the few all-black towns with a formal museum dedicated to its history. The small collection is in a 1908 home...