Dairy Queen
W. Hwy 50Lakin KS 67860
Ph: 620-355-7060
Lakin originated as one of the early stops on the Santa Fe Railroad from Dodge City to Colorado in 1872. This depot, constructed in 1876, replaced the original boxcar depot. The depot was moved to the museum site and restored in 1984. Mr. James Thomas, grandson of the O'
Lakin, KS Railroad HistoryThe Columbian Schoolhouse, built in 1893, was named after the Columbian Exposition held in Chicago. Later shortened to Columbia, the school conducted its last class approximately 1945. This one room school was moved to the museum site from 15 miles north of Lakin and restored in 1984.
Lakin, KS Historic SchoolhousesChouteau's Island was the largest island of timber on the Arkansas River in this area. In the spring of 1816, Auguste Pierre Chouteau was returning to Missouri with several other fur trappers when they were attacked by a large party of Pawnee Indians. Chouteau'
Lakin, KS Pioneer HistoryThe Commercial Hotel built in 1883 and run by Mrs. W.P. Loucks, had a good trade. Mrs. Loucks, the genial hostess, was the pioneer hotel keeper of Lakin. She came here in 1879 when Lakin was a way station on the Santa Fe and opened an eating house for the railroad employees. "
Lakin, KS Historic BuildingsThe Kearny County Historical Society has purchased the old, 12-sided barn on the west edge of Lakin. It was restored at its present site, and then moved to a foundation at the Museum Complex in 2001. The barn was built in 1909
Lakin, KS Historic BuildingsAn historic art deco theater built in 1928 offers films of yesteryear. Movies are scheduled on weekends with times to be anno...
This pass is one of the most interesting histories in the state of Kansas. Kearny County was fortunate in the creation of the...